Saturday, May 14, 2016

Where faith begins


This is an excerpt from my novel - Polycarp, a destroyer of our gods, where young Polycarp is being sent by his mentor, the Apostle John, to perform a difficult task where he would face life-altering decisions that would effect the rest of his life.

“A wave of nervousness came over me since I had no idea what he was talking about, or what he was going to compel me to do. ‘I guess it was a good thing,’ I thought to myself. ‘I’ve always had John or Timothy to lean on, but now I guess it’s time to lean on my Lord.’  
I reflected on the great exhortation from the Proverbs of Solomon; ‘Be confident in the LORD with all your heart, and never rely on your limited discernment of life. Instead, in all your ways seek to discover his ways, and you will find his direction lying straight in front of you.’ (Proverbs 3:5-6). I must confess that while I loved that text, I didn’t fully understand it. I guess that is what makes faith, true faith. Faith begins where my ability cannot take me or my sight guide me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment